Thursday, June 22, 2006

Dear You,

I know this is a strange beginning. Sitting at the airport in Katanayaka, I realise that I am about to enter a journey that is going to change me forever. The decision to step foot onto my Homeland after being born and bred in London was not an easy decision to make. I have thought about it long and hard, and although I have travelled the world, touched every continent, treked mountains and valleys, I realise that this adventure is going to be like non other. I am scared, for I am alone. But I am also excited. I know that I only have you, pen and paper, to accompany me ever step of the way. I will document my thoughts and experiences and hope that later I can read back on this and understand the journey that I have travelled. My personal journey of self-discovery...cliche as it may be..

Currently located in the North East region of Vanni, the area currently under LTTE control and interestingly the area which was targeted yesterday by the Sri Lankan airforce bombing, I feel I am breathing the air in which history is being made. Although fear is also part and parcel of this feeling, I have a craving to discover for myself the answers to so many of my questions. Having born and lived in London all my life, coming to my motherland is a very emotional experience. I have now got the chance to document history. History in the making.

So, my questions are numerous and find the answers I shall. Anyone who wants me to search answers for their questions as well, feel free to throw them my way. Being a Tamil, a part of my journey is to find out who I am. I realise that I have come at a daring time, in which I shall confront thousands of dangerous adventures. I will accept that a part of me is truly anxious, but I am mostly excited. Too long, I have been seeking to find out who I am. I have finally come to accept that the answer is not there in the streets of London. I know this is back to front but below is a poem I wrote before I left. I was initially not ready to share my sentiments with anyone, but now I am ready...

As I walk down these streets of London

I sense a feeling of loneliness.

Could it be that of alientation,

of entrapment..

I don't know

Conscious I am that it be a question,

A yearning question at that

As to where I belong...

From here questions pour in mind

Who am I?

Where is it that I belong?

Where is my Home...

And to all these queries, the answer

remains rhetorical..

From Ilford? Wembley or Tooting?

Born and bred in the British land

Knowing only to converse in a language

I know remains alien to my own

Am I British Tamil? Or Tamil British?

The quest for identity within a pool of others...

A British Asian.. the most compatible label..

But knowing my identity is more specific

I am bemused by the parody

in calling myself British

Is it not the British that conquered

my parent's land?

Colonised, Divide and Conquered.

Made what was two nations, one.

And after

left

behind a conflicting people

Two nations ...One Island?

And what follows is a violent history

A militant group

reknowned as terrorists

A Tamil?

A Tamil Tiger

Unable to express my identity for the negative connations

Easier to say Asain

for I can be free of a terrorist label

Unable to express my identity

I am lost

My identity tangled within a web of

racial politics, bigotry and war

But where do I belong in all this? ...

I need to find my place

Conform to the image or recreate it

as my own

The journey I sense is long and daunting

To my Homeland I must travel

and find out for myself

Who it is I really AM...

Where it is that my parents build their values

My language

That I fail to speak

But the only means to

communicate with my ancestry

An upturned tree

awaiting to find roots

to grown deep within myself

as to understand myself

My past, present

and future

To become a grounded being

I must say...

Au revior to London Town...

Wish me Bon voyage!

10 Comments:

At 2:29 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awesome site. please publish more of your journals!

 
At 9:13 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent work!. Please keep it up.

Many news media reluctant to or refused to release real facts for various reasons. However, the bloggers opened another window to the world to look at the issues in different perspective. It is very encouraging to see Tamils also entered.

 
At 6:01 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's really very fantastic work!!Keep it up!!

 
At 7:55 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with Vel. Our Tamil youth are very silent. They are educated and talented but don't know the ground situation back home. This is a great step! Good job Shivi!!!!

 
At 11:14 pm, Blogger Haran said...

Great work...
Our kids... we have to get them all together... and educate them about whats really happening back home... All the Tamil kids just seeing the news what ever the Western media releasing... and.. Western media only getting their news from Lankan Government... and theres no chance if we just sit down and do nothing... we have to do something... and we have to become like Jews... seriously... but I don't know how... within us.. we have so many differences like cast and sh!t and Lots of our ppl only care about earning money and buying property and jewelleries... Parents failing to tell their kids what they have gone thru back home.

 
At 2:59 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Shivi,

Nice peice of writing. Very interesting, I'm also like you, a born and bred foreigner wondering what home would be like.

Was wondering if you could address maybe the current situation back home now. What is it like? Has the war really begun? Can you feel its presence? I am considering visiting back home, what would you recomend? There are so many mixed up information coming from all over the place, but things only seem to be declining. What do you think, sould I still grab this oppertunity to come visit my homeland and you? Or would I be a fool to let it pass???

 
At 2:05 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your words brought back so many memories... Every word you said touched my soul... My experience in Tamil Eelam is something I can never describe... but I am glad to see that there are others who feel the same...

Would love to hear more.

 
At 8:57 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don’t mean to spam, but I truly feel that Anonymous –above- has taken the words right from my mouth.

 
At 12:55 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Ms. Bala,

My Tamil friend sent me this link. I was surprised to see the other side of the Tamil struggle. Mass media all over the world brand the Tamil struggle as terrorism but your blog is showing the reality. I will keep on checking for more interesting postings from you.

Roy Alwins, Alberta, Canada

 
At 10:28 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shivi!!!!

Fantastic piece of work. You have brought back lot of my childhood memories. I am married with 2 kids living in US for past 16 years and your writing has urged me to take the next flight to homeland.

Great Job!!!
I will visit your site for more info and pass it on to my friends.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home